Forum -> Productivity & Efficiency Improvement ->OEE vs machine efficiency

Share information, discuss ways to improve Productivity & Efficiency in manufacturing operations and logistics.
Ash1
Gold User
Gold User

Ash1's Profile

OEE vs machine efficiency

Postby Ash1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Would like to unleash an interesting discussion. I've seen a few businesses moving from OEE to efficiency and others doing exactly the opposite. So the question is, out of OEE and machine efficiency which one is more important and why?

Ferrara

Ferrara's Profile

Re: OEE vs machine efficiency

Postby Ferrara » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:01 pm

My 2 cents...Efficiency is the simplistic and easy way of checking the machine performance. If a company is progressing from efficiency tracking to OEE then it is a very good thing as OEE definitely encompasses more operational aspects and bring in quality of output and production operation performance into the picture.
If a company is reverting from OEE tracking to efficiency tracking then I think they hadn't done the base work right and it is good to make strong base first and then progress again to OEE tracking.

Ash1
Gold User
Gold User

Ash1's Profile

Postby Ash1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:25 am

"If a company is reverting from OEE tracking to efficiency tracking then I think they hadn't done the base work right and it is good to make strong base first and then progress again to OEE tracking."
The major reason the business goes back from OEE measuring to efficiency is that the OEE figures can be doctored whereas it's not so easy to do the same with efficiency.

Ferrara

Ferrara's Profile

Postby Ferrara » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:08 am

Exactly right, if there are gaps in the systems and processes, people may try and exploit those gaps to their advantage.

So, unless the base work is strong, people are engaged and everyone in the organization buys in to improve the OEE, it is hard to track and improve.

More often than not, the KPI's of individuals are not holistic or worse clashing with in the organization; that can become the root cause of foul play.

OEE is not any particular functional department baby, whilst the onus of machine efficiency can easily be fixed to few individuals / departments.

Return to Productivity & Efficiency Improvement

Return to Forum

All posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the Administrators, Support nor Triple M Expo Pty Ltd.