Forum -> Machinery related discussions -> Fillers ->Level sensor automation for mayonnaise

vijay

vijay's Profile

Level sensor automation for mayonnaise

Postby vijay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:04 pm

Trying to automate a transfer pump with a piston filler.
The product to be handled is mayonnaise.

Using a ball cock type level sensor for this purpose.

The float sensor works ok on water, but when we are using this probe with the product, mayo sticks to the float and float sinks in mayonnaise and the level probe doesn't work.

I believe that the specific gravity /bulk density of mayonnaise is less than water and that is causing the issue. Regarding the SS ball's adhesion properties, I was thinking of getting it coated with PTFE. Not sure, if that will help.

Probably, I will change the level sensor to vibratory fork type instead of a float sensor, OR will get a bigger float, which can work on low density products.

Any experience of integrating level sensors on mayonnaise? Look forward to any suggestions on this...

Ferrara

Ferrara's Profile

Re: Level sensor automation for mayonnaise

Postby Ferrara » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Vijay, Dip tube sensor, 3 probes contact sensor, touch based capacitive sensors, ultrasonic sensors can all work on level sensing for mayonnaise.

Probably, the easiest thing is to have a bigger diameter ball and try and use that on your existing level sensor. Probably, it will work. I think, you must check the specific gravity of your mayonnaise and make sure that the ball float is made to work on liquids of a bit lower density than that.

Ferrara

Ferrara's Profile

Postby Ferrara » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Any luck, Vijay?

vijay

vijay's Profile

Postby vijay » Thu May 19, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks, Ferrara.

Yes, all sorted.

I have used 3 probe contact sensor and it works really good.

It was a bit of a challenge as the pump was all pneumatic, so had to use electrical probe and convert the electrical signal into pneumatic signal to achieve the result. Anyways, it works good now.

Return to Fillers

Return to Forum

All posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the Administrators, Support nor Triple M Expo Pty Ltd.