Forum -> Quality Assurance ->Food products recall, major issues and possible solutions

Discuss anything regarding Quality aspects in Manufacturing Operations.
vijay

vijay's Profile

Food products recall, major issues and possible solutions

Postby vijay » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:46 pm

In developed economies more than 50% of food product recalls are due to microbial contamination and undeclared allergens. Having a good food allergen and microbial contaminant management plan is prerequisite for any good organization, but why are there so little automation solutions for detecting these quality defects within the factory?

For finding food allergens, I understand that there are quality control techniques like ELISA, LFD, lactose analysis, PCR etc. but all of these are person dependent and samples driven process techniques.

Are there any automation solutions for detecting these defects on the continuous production line?

Ferrara

Ferrara's Profile

Re: Food products recall, major issues and possible solution

Postby Ferrara » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:14 pm

There are many Lab testing techniques which can help you determine the presence of allergens OR microbial contamination in food products. The focus up till now has been on the prevention and most of the companies tend to make their CCP's, Quality procedures, manufacturing SOP's to ensure proper sanitation, cleaning, processes so that chances of cross-contamination and allergens can be minimized. This obviously is the right approach, but if the results indicate this to be as big a problem as mentioned by 'Vijay', then there should be some online testing as well. If moisture, oil content can be checked online in a continuous processed line then the solution for these problems should already be available OR shouldn't be too far.

Anyways, I found the below article of some relevance. Please have a look.
http://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magaz ... amination/

vijay

vijay's Profile

Postby vijay » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks, Ferrara.

Hopefully, someone will have some idea and I am sure that there will be few companies working in this direction.

vijay

vijay's Profile

Postby vijay » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 pm

The latest episode of frozen Berries recall in Australia is a cause of real concern for issues related to unhygienic practices in the supply chain, lax administrative controls & lack of onus on the suppliers & manufacturers based overseas.

Victorian company "Patties Foods" extended its national recall to include Nanna's Raspberries 1kg packs on 17th Feb 2015.Other products on the nationwide recall list are Nanna's Frozen Mixed Berries 1kg packs, and 300g and 500g packs of Creative Gourmet Mixed Berries.

Raspberries appear to be a potential common link in the imported fruit contamination that has left 10 people diagnosed with hepatitis A.

It is a shame that even in today's world we are having such serious issues because of the negligence OR inadequate controls / lack in awareness.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/frozen-b ... mtv.htmlry recall

xiaoxiaosmile1

xiaoxiaosmile1's Profile

Postby xiaoxiaosmile1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Raspberries appear to be a potential common link in the imported fruit contamination that has left 10 people diagnosed with hepatitis A.
Last edited by admin on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unrelated link taken off...

trevorqq

trevorqq's Profile

Postby trevorqq » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:30 am

Yeah, such issues are a real problem. I had some with my old machinery. When I switched my business to http://weighpack.com products, everything went really smooth and without any issues at all

vijay

vijay's Profile

Postby vijay » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:24 am

Good to know, Trevor.

It is really encouraging for any supplier when the customers vouch for them.

May we know which products you got from Weighpack? Obviously, your quality issues have been resolved with the changes..

How do you rate their products in terms of reliability, cost, service delivery, after sales service support etc?

Ferrara

Ferrara's Profile

Postby Ferrara » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:06 am

Well, the latest episode of Salmonella salad outbreak is another reminder of this grave problem http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/salmone ... mmx7z.html

Hopefully, there will be some automated solution for resolving these issues at supply end available soon.

Return to Quality Assurance

Return to Forum

All posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the Administrators, Support nor Triple M Expo Pty Ltd.